Follow a proven, tested plan to jump start your Data Catalog program and achieve a common business language.
erwin Partner Sandhill Consultants presents a practical approach to minimizing misunderstandings and risk when developing a commonly accepted vocabulary of business terms.
Gone are the days where organizations can manually develop a Business Glossary from scratch. Many glossary initiatives have started and stopped or have spent way too much time, and cost, due to ineffective processes and template structures when trying to develop a commonly accepted vocabulary of business terms.
Discover how to reuse template definitions to save time and cost, all while increasing the quality of your business glossary.
In this part of the session, you will learn:
- How to jump-start development of a business glossary
- How to develop an effective process for developing the glossary using templates
- Examples of re-usable terms and definitions for some of the most critical glossary items
erwin Data Catalog connects the business meaning with the data specification. Companies need to know what data they have and understand what it means in common, standardized terms so that they can act to the benefit of the organization.
Data Catalogs are a combination of a Business Glossary and a Data Dictionary; which gives stakeholders the ability to view information that is relevant to their roles and within a business context.
During this part of the presentation we will demonstrate the following features:
- Exploring the Universal Business Glossary™ by reviewing an easy to navigate structure, naming of business terms and consistency of definitions
- Managing the Universal Business Glossary™ via the erwin Data Catalog, showing the searching, associating and linage of the business term to the organizations data specification
- Quickly identify the impact and lineage required to manage change
- Effectively manage changes within your data catalog to avoid miscommunication